Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie
Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie by: Lauren Miyashiro
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH
- FOR THE CINNAMON ROLL CRUST
- FOR THE FILLING + ASSEMBLY
5 assorted apples (Granny smith, Honeycrisp, Gala) cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
2/3 c. granulated sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- FOR THE ICING
- Place flour and butter into freezer for 30 minutes before starting crust process.
- In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add butter and pulse until pea-sized and some slightly larger pieces form. With the machine running, add vinegar, then ice water into feed tube, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough starts to come together and is moist but not sticky (test by squeezing some with your fingers). Mixture will be crumbly!
- On a lightly floured surface, form dough into 2 balls, and flatten into a discs. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is cold but pliable, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cinnamon. On a lightly floured surface, roll one disc into a very large rectangle, about 17”-x-10”. Spread 2 tablespoons softened butter on dough then sprinkle about half the cinnamon sugar on top.
- Starting with one long side, roll dough into a log and pinch ends to seal. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes. Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Slice each log into ½”-thick rounds. On a lightly floured large piece of parchment paper, arrange rounds in a tight circle, making sure they’re all touching. Lightly dust with flour and cover with parchment paper, then roll into a 12” circle. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Repeat process with second log.
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease a pie dish with cooking spray. Place a large rimmed baking sheet in oven. In a large bowl, toss together apples, sugar, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
- Invert one crust into the bottom of the pie dish. Add apple mixture, then cover top with remaining cinnamon roll crust. Crimp edges to seal bottom and top. Bake until cinnamon rolls are golden and apple mixture is bubbling, about 50 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, make icing: In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over baked pie.